I have often heard cute/funny/interesting quips about fundraising (and life in general). For some odd reason, I have been writing some of these down (electronically) and I thought that I would share 10 of these quotable quotes.
- Over-solicitation — being asked to give again before they knew their first gift had an impact. — PENELOPE BURK
- Skate to where the puck is — WAYNE GRETSKY
- Donors don’t give because you’re excellent. They give because they are excellent and you help them realize their awesome selves. — JEFF BROOKS
- To keep a lamp burning, we have to keep putting oil in it. — MOTHER THERESA
- The best time to fix a broken experience, or build on a great one, is in the moment that it happens. — CHARLIE HULME
- The lowest hanging fruit in digital fundraising is celebrating the anniversary of your donor’s first gift. MARK ROVNER
- Fundraisers rely too heavily on gift value as a determinant of future potential. — PENELOPE BURK
- …there is no correlation between either income or wealth with the likelihood of giving by bequest. — ROBERT F SHARPE JR.
- As you go through your presentation, ask questions that stimulate dialogue. Monologues work for Jay Leno, but they aren’t appropriate in fundraising appeals. — SCOTT MORTON
- Donor loyalty is not about the donor being loyal to you, it is you being loyal to the donor. — HARVEY MCKINNON
While these may not be quite the Top 10 that were carved in stone at the top of a mountain thousands of years ago, these are nevertheless interesting points to ponder.